Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The things I've learned...

I have officially been a stay at home mom, or SAHM if you will, for about 3 months.  I've learned a few things during this time....

1.  The days go by WAY faster when you aren't stuck at a job you hate. Time just flies and I never get it all done.  I mean look at how long it takes me to do a new post.  There still isn't enough time in my day to do it all.  I don't think there ever will be.  

2.  A house with 3 kids, 2 adults and 1 dog will never be clean.  It will never be a "showcase".  By the time I get everything cleaned up and put in order it's time for me to pick up the kids from school and then the tornado hits. I don't want to be the mom that is constantly making her kids clean up.  But we're getting better.  We're now at the 'won't be too embarrassed if company stops by stage.' ;) 

3.  10.5 years and 3 kids really messes up my dish and towel sets.  When we were first married everything matched.  All the towels looked nice and even folded in the linen closet and all my dishes matched up nice in the cupboard.  Now I don't think we have two towels that match each other so the stack of folded towels is always mismatched looking.  We have a crap load of plates but don't have more than 4 that match each other.  Don't even get me started on silverware.  ha! 

4.  I can't motivate myself to lose weight.  Even when I look at the photos of me and I get sad that it's gotten this bad.  I've let myself go.  :(   It makes me sad that I can't seem to do what I have to to get this weight off.  I walked/jogged the golf course a couple days each week, but I need to make it a habit.  I know this. 

5. I have a mean left hook.  An old friend of the family who is a trainer offered to train us girls at boxing.  There are 4 of us who go together every Friday.  Each time we go we get a little more comfortable with the process (and a little more sore from working so hard).  Last week he had us work on some combos...jabs, uppercuts, hooks.  None of this meant anything to me a few weeks ago, now it gets me all pumped up.  I love boxing.  LOVE IT!!! 

6.  Wood floors = endless sweeping and dusting.  For serious.  I guess with carpet I never noticed cause it was hidden and that grosses me out too.  I am way tired of cleaning though.  I also noticed that my hair falls out a lot.  In my bedroom there is a crazy amount of my hair on the floor when I sweep in there.  It's kinda scary...am I going to be bald?  

7.  My kids are awesome.  I didn't just learn this from being home.  I've known this for quite some time.  :D  But being home with them allows me to see that awesomeness in action.  Their teachers have nothing but great things to say about them.  They have lots of friends and the right kind of friends.  They work hard at school and do their very best in their sports.  I couldn't be more proud of them.       
 
8.  We won't be able to afford me staying home for long.  That makes me sad.  But the more and more I look at the savings account dwindling...the more I know I need to get back out there.  I went on my first interview a few weeks ago.  I didn't get the job and I wasn't sad.  But unless I find a way to make some money from home I'm going to have to head back to the work force soon.  We had said that I would only stay home a few months....but I was hoping to win the lotto or something. :D     

9.  You can't win the lotto if you don't buy tickets. DOH! :D  

5 comments:

  1. Completely understand about the wood floors! I thought I would love living in a house with them and that it would be so much easier to clean but boy was I wrong.... I have to sweep everyday if I don't want to see dust bunnies... and I am just not doing that....

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you're grossed out by your wood floors, DON'T think about your mattress. EEK!!! and btw - more interview doesn't mean a job offer. i've learned that the hard way. (twss). i miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. go play that lotto!
    I don't have any kids, but I'd love to stay home as a SAHB (stay at home bum, if you will). I wouldn't even clean but I'd watch lots of tv!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like some good lessons! I'm glad you got to be a SAHM at least for awhile! I hope you find a new job that you'll love soon!

    Looooove you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. Time goes by way to fast when you are home, these last couple months have been different with school and deciding to volunteer. Where do you box? I started taking a cardio box class, enjoy it, but want to go more than once a week!! WOuld've thought Id see some changes, but my eating sucks! It will happen Girl!! Wood floors suck didnt know how much dust there was ..

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your thoughts!! :)